Thoracic Center of Excellence
The Thoracic Center of Excellence at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center was developed to provide the best care to our local and regional community. The Center specializes in diagnosis and treatment of diseases and disorders of the chest. OSF Thoracic Center surgeons are committed to improving the quality of care that their cardiothoracic surgery patients receive and currently report outcomes data to The Society of Thoracic Surgeons General Thoracic Surgery Database.
Read Full Story
- Cough that does not go away
- Coughing up blood
- Weight loss or loss of appetite
- Shortness of breath - especially with activity
- Pain in the chest
- Difficulty breathing
Our experience team includes:
- Thoracic Surgeons
- Radiation Oncologists
- Medical Oncologists
- Interventional Radiologists
- Advanced Practice Nurses
- Chest wall
- Pulmonary and thoracic vessels
- Minimally invasive techniques and video assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) resulting in:
- Smaller incision
- Less pain
- Often a shorter recovery period
- The latest in pain management techniques including epidural analgesia and local anesthesia pumps
- A standardized approach to post-operative care. This minimizes complications and can help avoid additional days in the hospital.
- Individualized referral to community home health services.
- Home health follow-up and monitoring as part of post-discharge care. Community nurses report patient progress or problems to the thoracic surgery APN for continuity and prompt attention to patient issues.
- Stop smoking
- Avoid second hand smoke
- Test your home for radon
- Learn to protect yourself from dust and fumes at work
- Avoid excessive alcohol intake
- Eat a healthy balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables
Always seek the advice of your physician with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. If you do not have a family physician and would like a referral, please call 1-888-6 ASK OSF (1-888-627-5673).
Physicians: To refer a patient or to obtain a consult, please call 309-655-7257 or
800-231-7257 and ask for the OSF Saint Francis Thoracic Center.